Interview with Cherie Bielawski

by - December 05, 2017


As stated in a previous post, this semester, one of our assignments was to interview a seasoned entrepreneur to get more insight on all the things that go into being a successful entrepreneur. I had the opportunity to talk to my boss, Cherie Bielawski, owner of Doggy Paddle Aquatic Center for Dogs and the following are her responses to my questions: 

              1.) What inspired you to start Doggy Paddle?

My (Greg’s too!) Golden Retriever, Waffles. She would not retrieve a toy on land, but could stay in the water for hours retrieving whatever was thrown. I discovered the benefit of swimming through her. She never had arthritis or mobility issues at 14 years of age because of the activity/exercise she chose and we would oblige for her. I despised the sand, smells, pollution of water, and sometimes environment of the beach so I created a center that would make swimming for dogs safe, healthy, and available all year.

2.) What are some of the challenges that you faced along the way?

Belief in my idea from public to even create the center, funding, location, city/permits, and construction.

3.) Did you always see yourself owning your own business?

Not exactly, I knew I did not want to work for anyone else anymore as I got older and always had interests in creating new ideas/work I’d like to do. I don’t think I could ever conceptualize I’d own my own business, it still has not processed yet!

4.) If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?

Yes and no, but any changes I’d make would not put me where I am good or bad presently. Everything and everyday is a challenge and learning experience, you just take it all in and grow, hopefully in a positive way.

5.) What's your favorite thing about owning your own business?

The work I provide, keeping dogs fit, healthy and happy through swimming safely. My clients, especially the dogs are awesome! I love hearing how they are excited to come to Doggy Paddle, seeing them light up in the pool and just being happy because they are at a place that cares about them.

6.) What's your least favorite thing about owning  your own business?

The stress of being responsible of not only keeping the business open, but providing for a team that works for you.

7.) What advice would you give to individuals who are just starting or who are thinking about starting their own business?

You have to go in knowing you are going to get beat up, spit out, straightened up and back through the ringer again. It’s all about having the right mind-set, eyes on the prize and go through hell to get it. I wish I could say it is a piece of cake, but then starting a business would not be for me. I guess I love the challenges.

8.) What's something that a lot of people don't know about owning your own business?

People think, if you do what you love it is not work. False. You have to work hard to create, maintain and grow. You need the passion, the love, to drive that work. Sometimes not all the work is pretty!

9.) What were some resources that really helped you?

I think finding the right people in the most important aspects of my business and in my industry, then connecting with them, was quite beneficial. Researching on own, whether through online sources, books or obtaining additional degrees/certifications is also crucial to development.  

10.) How did you know it was the right time to start your own business? 

Honestly, I held a well-paying job, but wanted more out of life. I came up with the name, Doggy Paddle and said somewhat jokingly, if the domain is available, I will quit my job. Well, it just happened to be up for auction, I won it on the cheap in the span of two weeks, then gave my two month notice to my job. That is how I knew, this was for real. Waffles was still around and instrumental in all of the development then after. I would not have been able to create any of it without her at my side.

11.) How did you know you were ready to start your own business?

You are never ready per se, you just start acting on your vision until it becomes tangible.

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Are you an entrepreneur now like your old boss? If so, what are you up to now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you at/doing now? Are you an entrepreneur like your old boss?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you at/doing now? Are you an entrepreneur like your old boss?

    ReplyDelete