Taking a Deeper Dive: Lady Trieu

by - December 05, 2017

For my first deep dive into secondary research, I will be looking at Trieu Thi Thrinh.

Trieu Thi Thrinh
Also known as Lady Trieu

In the year 43...
Vietnam came under rule of Chinese Han dynasty
Many organized rebellions over the years, one of these rebellions was led by Trieu Thi Trinh.

Born in a small village in Vietnam
Orphaned and lived with her brother

She saw that her people were being oppressed... 
Set up an army base in the countryside where she trained a thousand rebels to fight against the Chinese.

“I only want to ride the wind and walk the waves, slay the big whales of the Eastern sea, clean up frontiers, and save the people from drowning. Why should I imitate others? I will not resign myself to the lot of women who bow their heads and become concubines. I wish to ride the tempest, tame the waves, kill the sharks. I have no desire to take abuse.”

Successfully fought over 30 battles

According to legend...
Over 9 feet tall
Voice that sounded like a temple bell
Rode into battle on a war elephant
Wore golden armor
Carried a sword in each hand

In 248 CE...
Chinese finally won against Lady Trieu
She committed suicide by throwing herself into a river.

Even after her death...
For centuries she was said to have appeared in the dreams of Vietnamese revolutionaries offering support and guidance.

You May Also Like

0 comments